Vaginal dryness affects up to 80% of women going through menopause, as well as about 50% of post-menopausal women. It is caused by a natural change in hormone levels (estrogen) during menopause. This condition can cause burning, itching and discomfort, especially during sexual intercourse.
There are numerous treatments available on the market for vaginal dryness, but many of them can harm delicate vaginal tissues as they contain hormones or irritating chemicals.
Causes of menopausal dryness?
Vaginal dryness is a common problem for many menopausal women and can occur quite suddenly at any time. Although it mainly affects menopausal women between 40–65 years of age, it can also occur at any age for reasons other than menopause.
Natural lubrication is produced by mucous membranes at the neck of the womb (cervix). This fluid keeps the vagina moist, elastic and supple. Estrogen helps maintain the production of lubrication, which is slightly acidic and helps keep the vagina healthy, protecting it from bacterial and fungal infections.
During menopause the levels of estrogen drop, affecting the production of lubrication. This causes the vaginal tissues to become thin and dry, more prone to damage and irritation.
The condition can have a huge emotional impact; it can be difficult to accept changes to your body that affect your sex life, leading to loss of self-confidence, confusion and worry. Women do not need to suffer in silence, as there are remedies available to replenish moisture and keep the vaginal tissues supple and healthy.
Symptoms of menopausal vaginal dryness
- Dryness, burning, bleeding, discomfort or pain during sexual intercourse. Loss of natural lubrication means that during sexual intercourse, friction can damage the thinning vaginal mucosal membrane; penetration and deep intercourse can rupture the fragile vaginal tissues and cause bleeding.
- External or internal itching caused by vaginal dryness is a distressing and sometimes painful symptom. Thinning of the vulval tissues and loss of their natural acidic and soothing moisture can provoke external itching.
- Increased occurrence of vaginal and urinary tract infections. The change in the vagina’s slightly acidic environment and natural lubrication means that it is more susceptible to infections such as Candida Albicans (thrush) and other microorganisms.
What are the treatments for menopausal dryness?
Women experiencing menopausal vaginal dryness are commonly advised to continue regular sexual activity. This helps to keep vaginal tissues healthy by stimulating blood flow and the production of natural lubricant. Abstinence is thought to make the symptoms worse.
Treatment options include:
- HRT and vaginal estrogen products (eg: vaginal rings, pessaries and creams).
- Personal lubricants to moisturize and lubricate during sexual intercourse.
- Vaginal moisturizers for regular use to rehydrate and soothe vaginal tissues.
How AH! YES VM helps to relieve dryness
AH! YES VM Vaginal Moisturizer is made with natural plant polymers that soothe, protect and re-hydrate intimate tissues, and replenishing the vagina’s naturally acidic environment. AH! YES VM is made with a natural, certified organic formulation and is the purest treatment for vaginal dryness. AH! YES VM’s patented, pH balanced, natural formulation provides effective relief from discomfort, itching and inflammation as well as long-lasting relief when used regularly.
Mr Nick Panay BSc MBBS MRCOG MFSRH – Director of the West London Menopause and PMS Centre
“In my capacity as a Consultant Gynaecologist with a special interest in premature menopause, I see many women suffering from menopausal vaginal atrophy, whose symptoms can be significantly eased through the use of an appropriate vaginal moisturiser / lubricant. Based on my professional experience of such products, and the feedback from my patients I can say without hesitation that the AH! YES range proves to be the one of the most successful in combating the discomfort of dryness. I have confidence that its natural formulation affords effective re-moisturisation, while treating sensitive tissues with great gentleness.”
Why use AH! YES VM to treat vaginal dryness?
- Hypoallergenic, made with natural plant-based formulations, without known skin irritants.
- Instantly relieves and calms itching and discomfort.
- Regular use will re-hydrate and give soothing relief to dry and irritated intimate tissues.
- A long-lasting vaginal moisturizer; can also be used as an intimate lubricant.
- Designed to match the typical, acidic pH balance of the vaginal environment. Maintaining vaginal pH may help to protect against bacterial and yeast infections.
- Not made with hormones or parabens; no known contra-indications.
- Highly recommended by Health Care professionals.
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed