What causes vaginal dryness?
The vagina is kept supple and comfortable by moisture that is produced by glands at the neck of the womb (cervix), and controlled by the production of estrogen in the ovaries. A change in the body’s estrogen levels affects the production of lubrication, causing the vagina to feel dry, itchy and sore.
The most common cause of vaginal dryness is the reduction of estrogen levels caused by the menopause. This leads to the vaginal tissues becoming thin and dry, with fewer lubricating glands. However, other common conditions that cause vaginal dryness due to lower estrogen levels include:
- Taking hormone treatments such as HRT or contraceptives
- Treatments for cancer, such as chemotherapy
- Medications such as anti-depressants or hay-fever remedies
- Smoking or alcohol
- Use of harsh soaps or douches in the vulval area
- Emotional stress
Common symptoms of vaginal dryness
- Burning, stinging, inflammation, irritation, itching and bleeding
- Irritation and discomfort due to inflamed and painful vulva
- Painful sex (e.g. dyspareunia)
- Vaginal and urinary tract infections and discharge. These may develop as a result of a change in the vagina’s normal slightly acidic environment and natural lubrication levels that keep the vagina supple, moist and healthy. If you think you have an infection, such as bacterial vaginosis, seek your doctor’s advice.
- Excessive dryness can cause the delicate skin around the vulva to become irritated and intolerably itchy, prone to damage and inflammation.
Natural treatments and remedies
Using a water-based intimate lubricant or vaginal moisturizer can help to ease the discomfort and irritation caused by vaginal dryness. Certified organic organic AH! YES WB water-based personal lubricant and AH! YES VM vaginal moisturizer
both provide outstanding rehydration and are soothing, gentle and effective. Guaranteed pure and natural by their certified organic status, they provide rapid relief from itching and discomfort. Choose between the two different formulations according to your individual needs. Both AH! YES VM and AH! YES WB soothe, hydrate and lubricate your sensitive vaginal tissues naturally.
Vaginal dryness – should I use AH! YES WB or AH! YES VM?
Other treatments for vaginal dryness
A wide range of different treatments, lubricants and douches are available to treat vaginal dryness. However, they are not all ideal because:
- Some contain sugar (glycerins), which can aggravate candida and yeast infections.
- Many are not pH balanced to match the acidity of the vagina, making it vulnerable to infection and discomfort.
- They may contain hormones (estrogen), which is not always suitable for women with hormonally sensitive conditions.
- Some contain silicone, which creates a smothering layer on the surface of the skin and prevents healing and hydration.
Complementary therapies such as acupuncture, wild yam extract, black cohosh and soy isoflavones are also promoted as aids in the treatment of vaginal dryness. Avoid using douches, bubble baths and lotions and always consult your doctor if your symptoms are painful or persistent.
Why should I use AH! YES?
- AH! YES WB & AH! YES VM both provide effective relief from irritation, dryness and discomfort.
- All AH! YES products are made with natural, pure and certified organic formulations and are designed to be hypoallergenic, ultra-sensitive and side-effect free.
- AH! YES WB & AH! YES VM can double as intimate moisturizers and sexual lubricants.
- AH! YES WB & AH! YES VM are pH balanced for the slightly acidic vaginal environment. Maintaing vaginal ph may help to protect against bacterial and yeast infections.
- AH! YES WB and AH! YES are free of hormones, parabens, glycerin, perfumes and petrochemicals.
- AH! YES WB & AH! YES VM are endorsed by medical and healthcare professionals.
- Check our 100% satisfaction guarantee policy
- See how AH! YES WB & AH! YES VM have changed our customers’ worlds from the inside